Channeling Ginerva Delacourt

I dreamed last night of awkward times when I would attend a dance or other function and feel out of place.  My hair didn't turn out the way I had wanted, or my dress was a compromise of the one I had hoped for.  The whispering of girls in all corners of the room, and the posturing of young men as they moved in packs.



I had gone to sleep after reading the delightful Miss Delacourt Has Her Day, a Regency romance written by my friend Heidi Ashworth.  In this book I felt both transported to another world of dukes and a dowager duchess, and to my own world of fitting in and finding myself.  And to me, this is how Ms. Ashworth draws in her audience.  There is something familiar about Ginerva Delacourt's journey in this book, as she attempts to find her place in her new society.  She is constantly trying to find that balance of being her genuine passionate self, and of being the poised gentlewoman she is expected to be.  Is it just me, or do most women spend more than enough time trying to do the same?

Anthony Crenshaw is allowed to be our hero without too much arrogance, which would be off-putting to the reader.  He is chivalrous and handsome, but also insecure and ready to accept help from his valet when needed.  Ok, the dark curly hair doesn't hurt his image either.

I think the genius in writing is giving the supporting characters just enough air time.  They must be able to make an impact and move the plot forward, without creating too much distraction.  Another strength in Heidi's writing.  I both looked forward to the appearance of Lord and Lady Avery, and I dreaded it at the same time, as I wanted to throttle the woman.  They were purposeful in reminding of us events in the first book titled Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind, and they served as great foils to the protagonists.  Very well-done.  Other supporting characters introduced in this book were fleshed out well and added to the momentum of the story.

This romance genre, which I do not generally seek out as a reader, is surrounded with so many fun characters and adventures that I found myself devouring this book in a matter of a few hours, not wanting to put it down.

Ginny would be my friend if we were to meet.  I think she and Heidi and I would have a delightful time sitting on the lawn outside Kensington Palace, eating cucumber sandwiches and stretching out the hems of our dresses as we wrapped them around our feet and told stories.

Well done, friend.  Well done.

15 comments

Heidi | March 29, 2011 at 8:04 AM

A most delightful way to start out my day, Kazzy dear. I would stretch out the hem of any dress I own to sit on the lawn eating cucumber sandwhiches with you. Love.

gigi | March 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I'm always looking for a good read. I'll check this one out. thanks for the review. Have a great day!

Bossy Betty | March 29, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Thanks for the review! This looks like a good one!

Carolyn V | March 29, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Sweet! Great review! I can't wait to read Heidi's book. =)

Crystal Collier | March 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Oh why oh why do women have to be so preoccupied with how we're perceived?

Great review.

Anonymous | March 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM

You're dead on about Sir Anthony being the perfect amount of dashing with sincerity. =]

Connie | March 29, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Looks like I need to read the first one so I could really enjoy this one.
When are you publishing a book? You know you've got it in you.

Ken Craig | March 29, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Dear Kazzy,

I know you have moved on, but I am still stuck on that photo of the NC beach a few posts back. Though I am more familiar with the Pacific (growing up in CA and HI), that beach looks so incredible. Why, oh why do I live in the desert?
p.s. Thank you for admitting your shared obsession with Bill Murray. Do yourself a favor. If you haven't watched "Tootsie" in a while, or ever, give it a whirl.
Ken

Valerie | March 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I have both the "Miss Delacourt" books on my list. I love Historical Romance!!! Thanks for the review.

mermaid gallery | March 29, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I love losing myself in a book like that...it is the best tonic for our own daily stresses

Rebecca Blevins | March 29, 2011 at 11:37 PM

You have discovered why Sir Anthony is my second favorite Regency hero. (My first is Mr. Knightley, and my third is Mr. Darcy if that tells you anything.) Beautiful review! I'd beg to come eat cucumber sandwiches with you and Heidi. :)

I adore Heidi's books.

LisAway | March 30, 2011 at 3:42 AM

What a lovely review, Kazz. And Totally agreed that we all have a bit of the Ginny dilemma these days. :)

Marianne | March 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Oh thank you!! I've been looking for a new read--I should have just asked!!

Minna | March 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM

i feel as if i know heidi just because she comments on your blog. now i have to seek out her books because she is your friend. i am toying with a book for middle schoolers and it's so hard to do. i am totally impressed that heidi is a writer. congratulations!

Kimberly Vanderhorst | April 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Oh I love how you compared Ginny's struggle to that of all women. So much truth there. Love!