too quiet to hear anything


Sometimes being still is a real chore.
Sometimes I want to solve things.
To fix it.

I don't believe God only answers us with a voice still and small.
I believe many, if not most, of my answers have come while I have been in the middle of an action.
He either says, "Nope.  Not quite." Or he says, "Almost." Or sometimes even, "You got it."

I can't always hear when it's quiet.
I have felt bad about that at certain points in my life.
Like when people in church talk about these very sweet experiences of gentle revelation.
But then I realize that it is the personal nature of the communication that counts.  
I don't talk to my mom the same way I do to my sister or my friends.
They each need to hear me differently.  

My answers and promptings and discussions are tailor-made for me and my own personality and needs.





12 comments

wendy | February 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I would have taken you for the quiet, pondering sort.
However, Point is...you are in tune to "hear the prommptings" no matter when and How they come to you.

Kazzy | February 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I can certainly be the quiet pondering type, but I am also a get-it-done person, and often find myself plowing ahead first and pondering later. :)

Anonymous | February 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I never thought of this before. But I'm so relieved to hear you say it because I've always felt like I don't hear *anything.* Maybe I'm just listening during the wrong times.

Connie | February 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I bet you can get lots of promptings in your Fiat! :)

Jenny Lynn | February 7, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I really can't tell you how much this post means to me. I have been inspired in the middle of lunch duty in the lunchroom full of 300 students. I think it is being in tune that matters most.

lesa | February 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Your picture is fun!

One way that I know He knows us personally is that we each hear him differently.

Robin | February 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Amen.

Becca | February 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I love that we need to take the responsibility for learning to hear Him -- to learn how he communicates with us/to us. Lovely words.

Unknown | February 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

People think I'm joking when I say I receive more revelation while I'm drying my hair than by any other single act. I don't know if it's the mindlessness of the task, the length of time I have to sit still and do it, or just what. But I love that the Lord knows how to reach me, regardless of how silly it may seem to others.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan | February 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I love the way you write.
And think.

Honey I'm Home Blog | March 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I feel a similar way about "hearing" that voice. Sometimes it was such a strong warning it was almost a scream. I'm so glad it can come in many different ways.

Warmly, Michelle
Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust
PS - Cool pic too!

Valerie | March 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Great thoughts. It is important for us to know how the Holy Ghost talks to us and it won't be the same for everyone, like you said. If we are where we are supposed to be, doing what we're supposed to be doing, revelation can come.