day ten: blowing feathers

We started with our first instruction on the alphabet today, and I immediately felt a real responsibility to help the students understand the concept. The letter "F". We used magnets, flat pieces of wood to form the parts of the letter, red playdough we rolled into the three lines used to make an "F", and mini chalkboards. Then Miss C taught the kids how to make the sound by holding an imaginary feather in their hands and blowing it out while putting their top teeth on their bottom lips. We go full body in our class, folks. It works.

I came home at 4:30 and put my feet up in front of a little Food Network for an hour, and then Geo and I left to go out to dinner. I never make steak at home (no grill), so it is a treat to order one at a restaurant and have it be so tasty. We had a nice chat about counting our blessings and then left for a drive north, where we did some window shopping for a new modest car. No purchasing any time soon, but when Elder B gets home in a few months he may be inheriting our current second car so we may want to bite the bullet and get something nicer for G. Hard to imagine spending any more money in the near future, but...

Tomorrow I will go watch my little four year-old redheaded friend play in a soccer game at 11, and then in the evening I will go to a wedding reception. Both sweet celebrations of life, don't you think?

3 comments

April | August 29, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I love how you teach! The more senses you use, the better you learn! Good luck with your car search!

Connie | August 29, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I know blowing feathers is not the documented way to do the sound of F but it works. Good luck finding a car and have a great weekend.

LisAway | September 25, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I love the sensory teaching. Very cool. And I can't believe your oldest comes home so soon! Wasn't he just barely half way?