day two: tests and teeth

On top of giving assessments all day I had a surprise visit from a supportive district member, who arrived 6 minutes before a meeting that was being held down in the conference room. I ran down to the conference room to beg to be excused and ran back. And forth. And back. I am pretty certain I (looked) look like an empty-headed fool. Well, maybe I am.

In the meantime, my husband is dropping off our eighteen year-old at the oral surgeon to have three wisdom teeth and a cracked back molar removed. My close friend was lined up to pick him up after the surgery, but...

G: Turns out someone needs to stay with him through the surgery, even though he is of legal age.

Me: Yeah? And?

G: I am obligated from now until 5ish to help my brother with something.

Me: OK...well, Hon, it is a total mad house here. I have kids and parents coming in for the rest of the afternoon back-to-back.

G: I'll call C.

Me: Yup. Thanks.

Then back to work. Scattered. Overwhelmed by paperwork that doesn't usually need to be done at the very beginning of the year. Thrown into it.

Geo made sure all of the surgery paper work was correct before legal son signed it all. Then off. C arrives soon and plays the good friend and sits with Adam during recovery and then drives him home. All went well. I arrive home around 6 to see that he has some swelling, but the pills are starting to take effect and I am confident that he will heal up in the next couple of days.

Then after checking in with everyone I take the envelope with teeth in it to the counter to wash them and return them to their container. Kind of gross, but not too bad really. Five teeth.

Wrong envelope? Some splaining to do tomorrow...

11 comments

Lanie | August 20, 2009 at 8:13 PM

5 teeth...some splaining is right. All I can say is I hope you have a better day tomorrow. Good luck...Lucy!!!

April | August 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM

ohhh sorry for the chaotic day. next time teeth are pulled have your boys drink pineapple juice, it cuts down on the swelling. Our oral surgeon had our second boy do this and he didn't swell at all. Our oldest was pretty swollen with no juice.....just a thought!

Kazzy | August 20, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Hmmmm...good tip, A.

And my days are good, Lanie, just complete chaos. :)

CHERRANNE | August 21, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Tell My Little AB with the puffy, swollen Chops to GET WELL SOON!

P.S. Those are fortunate little Buggers that You teach, Kaz.

charrette | August 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Ah, he must be miserable. My dad tells a hilarious story about how I was after some oral surgery, coming out of the anesthesia. Not pretty.

But five teeth instead of four?!

You must tell us what happened. (Jeremiah saves all his teeth...plus the dog's. Boys will be boys.)

Barbaloot | August 21, 2009 at 8:20 AM

What happened then? I'm definitely curious.

Melanie Jacobson | August 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM

FIVE? Ooooooops!

Kazzy | August 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Surgeon said this morning that one of them had to be broken in half. Hey, I am no dentist, but they look like 5 whole teeth to me. We will see on Thursday at the follow-up.

Erin | August 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Wow, that sounds crazy. Both your day AND the tooth story. I hope today is a little better for you!

Dedee | August 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM

5 Teeth!

I'm having fun reading these in order so I can't wait to see how this story ends.

Dedee | August 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Whoops. I should read all the way down through the comments.