day 191: hello me. meet me.

Store it up.  Share it.  Plan ahead.

A favorite quote of mine is Adversity introduces us to ourselves.  True, unfortunately. 

I am a rock star when things are going well.  I smile.  I get things done.  I feel pretty darn good about myself and my life.  I am generally an optimist.

But lately it doesn't take much for me to feel the tectonic plates of my life shifting right beneath my feet. 
A concern about my kids.  My husband.  My old house that needs regular TLC.  I get jumpy, restless, and almost obsessive about fixing something.  

I need to get those roots planted deeper during smooth times, when the only movement is the slow turning of the planet.  When I can take a deep breath and dig down into the soil.  
This week I was reading the story of Joseph in Egypt, in the Old Testament.   

Store up my grain.  Store it.  Share it.  Be thankful for planning ahead. 




8 comments

Heidi | February 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Gee, I can really relate to this. One thing that is always for sure is that if we are up, we will soon be down. At our house, we focus a lot on keeping an extra supply of energy, time, sleep, money, whatever, in storage b/c, sure as shooting, something is going to come along and suck up that day's allowance of one thing or another. I forget the source of the following but the author asserted that we feel best when we have no less than 25% of energy, sleep, money and other resources in reserve at all times. The way our society is these days, we aren't likely to have that much stored up of anything on a regular basis. I love the quote, too, about adversity helping you to know yourself. It also helps you to know those around you. A little bit of pressure and the relationship either holds together or it cracks. Either way, it is good information to have.

Kazzy | February 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Oooo, true about relationships. Yup. Thanks, H.

Heather | February 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM

This got me thinking about how when everything is going well, is when I am more likely to let my guard down, and am less prepared for the next inevitable trial. Thanks for pointing out that the good times are when we need to store up our reserves.

Wendi Pray | February 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin | February 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Very true.

Lola Sharp | February 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I really related to this thoughtful post as well.

And Heidi's insightful mention of relationships...good stuff.

Luann | February 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Wow. Great quote. And great metaphor.

Even deep roots can be ripped out when those tectonic plates shift too violently. Some things are just out of our control. When that happens we look for good fertile ground and start the slow process of rerooting.

But more common and likely are the little shakes. They can rattle us pretty good, but won't destroy us if we are well grounded.

Great post.

Kimberly Vanderhorst | February 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Brilliant insights here. I needed this today.