day 277: meandering, literally and figuratively


I wandered today.  After attending a bridal shower north about 40 miles, I meandered back home over the course of about 4 hours.  Window shopping, taking scenic routes, listening to music, and avoiding coming home to do homework.  Yup, even 40-somethings don't like homework.

While I was gone my husband rallied the troops and got the lawn mowed and the bathroom cleaned.  Now I am sitting here blogging at his big fancy 27" inch Mac and he is off to see a movie with a friend.  Tag teaming.  We do that well, and still manage to spend lots of good time together.  It is a good system we have.  Not that we haven't had to tweak it here and there over the past 23 years, but we work well together.  Funny thing is that he has had to ask me to slow down and remember him more often than I have had to ask him to do the same.  He is naturally more attentive to me.  I don't know that I thank him often enough for his love and affection.

While I type I am listening to my recording of Landslide from my jukebox in the sidebar.  It is fitting.  Time makes us bolder.  Kids get older.  We get older.  And part of that getting older is that we say what we need, from each other, and from others too.  I also think some of the getting bolder is manifest in letting certain things go.  Meandering can be a hard thing to do sometimes, when I allow tasks to take over.  But today I made way for a little wandering, and it was good.

6 comments

lesa | May 23, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Newcomer to your blog.

Great post and blog!

This past week I had an obligation out of town and when I got done I called my husband and told him I'd be a little longer as I was going to go to the mall for a bit, getting a treat, and, enjoying some "me" time.

After that much needed break, I got home to dishes done and help with boys homework done.

I would have felt guilty doing that in my 20's or 30's but I've realized that it is ok to meandering in my 40's.

Kazzy | May 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Welcome, Lesa. And you nailed it!

April | May 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I love meandering. With so many who complain about relationship woes, it's so nice to see that there are still those of us out there willing to give what it takes to have a wonderful marriage. It does my heart good!

laughingwolf | May 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM

nothing like good ol mac folk ;) lol

i have 5 of em, and two windbloze... cuz i have some software that only works on the win

and yeah, time to wander's good

Jenny | May 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I am in the 'feel guilty", when I take longer than what I have told my hubby.

I like the thought of meandering!

mimbles | May 24, 2010 at 5:12 AM

Sounds like a lovely day. Avoiding of homework is a skill that can be refined over the years to a perfect art ;-)

We've been a bit over-scheduled around here lately, I could do with some meandering.