my own answer



Sometimes I look into their faces and see right through.  Right to the backs of their eyes. The backs of their eyes where there are sparks and flickers and brilliant colors.

These little kiddos don't have the same kinds of inhibitions you and I have.  They don't always have the same personal space issues.  As a matter of fact, one of my little guys likes to intentionally gently bump into me or my technicians in order to kind of ground himself.  To give his body a reference point.  A place to call home base.  Many of my specials have no problem coming right up close to my face and staring right at me when I talk to them or ask them questions.  Some never make eye contact, but those are more rare.

And when I just need to giggle at a funny response I get, or a random answer to a question, they often join in because they are right there in my space where the reaction is happening.  We share it.

We are within arm's reach during one-on-one time.

Q: What color are these flowers?  
A: My mommy has flowers.

Q: When do you go to bed?
A: My sister has boots.

Maybe I need to try answering questions with something that just needs to be said, whether it is in response to the question or not.  Maybe taking an opportunity to have an audience means that we give whatever answer we want, because someone is finally asking us something.

Q: Miss Karen, where do you live?
My Answer: Yes, I do love my job.  Thanks for asking.


7 comments

Momza | October 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

This reminds me of a sign/poster in the special needs school my son went to in Spartanburg, South Carolina--the Charles Lea School--the sign read:
"Just because I can't speak well, doesn't mean I have nothing to say. Thanks for listening."

Unknown | October 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Loved this so much! And I loved Dawn's comment, too.

lesa | October 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I loved Dawn's comment, too. This post made me smile today. I think you must be the best teacher in the whole world.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan | October 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Beautiful.
Simply beautiful.
Those kids are so blessed because of you.

Bossy Betty | October 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I am SO going to try this method of answering!

Do you have that work done?

Yes, I would like a chocolate bar.

Becca | October 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Oh, that every special kiddo had a teacher just like you.

wendy | October 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Oh KAZZY ...you are so inspired. You truly are fulfilling a calling that YOU can so fill.
You get it.
"to see beyond...the the sparks and colors" of a child
And although the ANSWERS are not "supposedly corredt"
It's a communication and a reaching out and HEY listen to ME

I love you
and yes, I like Yellow
thanks for asking