day 165: soup as salve

The morning after my friend called to tell me about her mother's accident, I woke up and said to my husband that I was going to make a double batch of dinner and take some over.

What should I make?  Hmmmm.

Make that Portuguese soup, he said.  Mainly because I would like some, he thought.

The nice thing about soup is that it slides down and fills in the cracks.  There is no heavy feeling, like after prime rib or a giant burger.  It is easier than that.  Soup feels good going down and then subtly you are full.  I like that.

And when someone brings soup that was made with sweet potatoes and kale and concern, you can taste each ingredient.  I hope they did.  I love my friends.

5 comments

Melanie Jacobson | January 31, 2010 at 12:13 PM

"It slides down and fills the cracks." What a perfect way to describes soup.

Charlotte | January 31, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I mentioned to a friend once that I was feeling sick and she showed up with some soup that evening. It touched me so much I still think of it years later.

Liz | January 31, 2010 at 7:52 PM

recipe?

Luann | February 1, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Oh, yes. Please share the recipe. :)

Stacy | February 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I love soup. Love it. I would have soup 2 or 3 days a week if my family wouldn't complain about it. There's something so gentle and nourishing about a big bowl of hot soup, especially when someone else makes it for you. I may need to find your recipe.