day 321: bang a drum

#3 came home at midnight from an all-day trip with his marching band drumline today.  They went to Ogden, UT to watch a professional drum corps perform.  Pretty inspirational stuff for an aspiring percussionist.  With most of the money his dad gave him for the day he was able to purchase some very nice drum sticks with rubber tips.

These are cool because I can drum anywhere and it doesn't hurt anything.

I like that he feels comfortable enough to tap around on the tables, countertops, and all other furniture.  I like it because it means I have made him feel like his interests are not a bother to me.  #1 has had a few band practices here at the house as they have been preparing for studio time.  This entails him using cushions from the big leather chair down in the family room to muffle the sound leaving his bedroom window.  But Geo and I just talk really loudly over the banging and the amps and think it is awesome that our boys like music and want to use their talents.

Plus, I do my own drum banging around here.  And often my sticks don't have rubber tips.

9 comments

gigi | July 8, 2010 at 5:10 AM

I have two nephews that are playing the drums and they are in love with them. You're a good mom!

mermaid gallery | July 8, 2010 at 6:29 AM

you have to encourage creativity....even if it means sitting through drum solos....
it would be music to my ears...

Welcome to the Garden of Egan | July 8, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I love the post! I'm envisioning you drumming your little heart out.

Barbaloot | July 8, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Good for you and your good attitude. If someone were banging drum sticks around me---rubber tipped or not---I'd probly want to drop kick the guy who invented them:)

Kimberly Vanderhorst | July 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Now that's a glimpse of the selflessness that I want to have as a bigger part of how we raise our kids.

I let Emma play the harmonica this morning for a fully five minutes and felt like the best mom ever. Oi.

Connie | July 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Drumming is a great outlet to keep from going crazy! It may make others crazy but that's OK. They should take up drumming...like you!
Don't forget those rubber tips!

Robin | July 9, 2010 at 1:32 AM

We saw him at DCI on Wednesday. It was awesome. My son, who plays the trumpet, was also inspired. So glad we took our family. Only Sam and I had been before.

Mrs4444 | July 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM

:) That kind of support is important and life-changing, even if he doesn't become a professional musician. Lucky kid!

Dedee | July 12, 2010 at 7:06 AM

I totally want to hear you bang. And I have to admit to dragging my feet on getting my son clarinet lessons. I'm a horrible mother. (Except that guitar lessons only lasted two weeks, so I don't feel entirely guilty giving in to this whim.)

But he just started cello after watching Yo-Yo Ma on the Muppets. So I don't feel quite so guilty and I promise to let him take clarinet lessons in a couple of years if he still wants them.