day 336: countdowns

I finished up my intense summer school teaching program (practicum) today and am now looking at three weeks of classes remaining.  It's a strange feeling when you have been on the countdown for something and as the end approaches it almost feels subtle and anti-climatic.

The last few weeks of pregnancy is anything but.  I remember having visions of my babies and getting so excited about holding and kissing them (and not being huge and uncomfortable anymore).  But in those cases I was getting a real prize at the end.  Something beautiful for all of the months of hard work.  In this case I will feel a satisfaction of 18 months of study and hard work paying off, but in such a less tangible way. 

I wonder how it will feel to be less swamped.  To spend more time with my family.  To have my evenings to myself.  I am ready to give it a shot.

6 comments

*~Petra~* | July 23, 2010 at 8:53 AM

My hubby finished school last year after deciding that he wanted to do something new. We had two teenagers and it was really difficult. The end was completely awesome! Make sure you make a big deal and celebrate. Congratulations! :)

LisAway | July 23, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Oh, I'm glad you've got part of it over and are coming to the end. Maybe you won't be holding a new baby at the end of this, but hopefully it won't have been quite as bad as pregnancy (and childbirth!) and you WILL be able to sit down and "hold" the children you already have!

Bossy Betty | July 23, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Congrats on all the labor and now the delivery!!!

Kimberly Vanderhorst | July 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM

It must be strange not to have anything tangible at the end of such a long haul. Thinking back on the posts you've written during this time, the amount of intangible blessings is just dizzying. I agree with Petra, make a big deal and celebrate!

gigi | July 23, 2010 at 8:00 PM

You can do it and I know you will feel so free to spend time doing other things :)

Robin | July 24, 2010 at 12:05 AM

You may not have a cute little baby after this is all over, but you also won't have anything that you have to feed, change, wash, clean up after, and keep alive.

See. A bright side.