day 328: dehydration

On a long walk with Geo yesterday we talked about drinking before you get thirsty, in the metaphorical way, of course, because that is the way we are. Taking preventative steps in our lives that lessen the chances of being blindsided by our own weaknesses, or even the weaknesses of others.



In the literal sense I have been dehydrated. I actually think I get that way often. I feel it coming, and I tell myself I need to drink more water, but I put it off. Over and over again this is the case.

Then I allow it in my personal, emotional, spiritual life too. I have thought since yesterday about ways I can drink before I get thirsty. I can be diligent in my own personal study and cognitive exercises. I can get more sleep. I can eat better, without feeling poorly before I do. I can foster my important relationships.

I can gulp it down and be ready to sweat.

14 comments

Kimberly Vanderhorst | July 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Oh I love this. I am so much the same way but I've never thought of it in these terms. Feeling all pondersome now.

Heather of the EO | July 14, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Ah yes. If only I would store up for those dehydrating days, the marathons of life. I loved this post of yours, and I'll carry it around in my pocket with all your other bits of wisdom :)

Bossy Betty | July 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM

So nice--great images and thoughts.

Glad to read your posts again!

Robin | July 14, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Very well said. Much pondering to ensue.

CiCi | July 15, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Nice way to relate the physical dehydration to the rest of our lives.

heather | July 15, 2010 at 9:07 AM

You are the best at analogies. I love this one.

LisAway | July 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM

What a perfect analogy. And especially at a time when it's hot and my kids are spending a lot of time outside and I have to remind them to drink water and also at a time where I am seriously feeling sick because I've eaten too many chocolate chip cookies throughout the day. "I can eat better, without feeling poorly before I do."

gigi | July 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I'm always having to remind my self to drink more water! I wish I would do better.

Erin | July 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

This is a very nice analogy. Thank you for sharing it!

Mrs4444 | July 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Why do we DO this,over and over again?!! Great thoughts here...

Kim | July 16, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Well said. I love this analogy and will be pondering it for the next little bit. Thanks for great insight.

Luann | July 16, 2010 at 8:37 AM

I do this too. Wait too long. I've heard the best place to store water is inside your body. There is no need to ration your intake. If you've got it in front of you, drink long and hard. Get your fill. Literally and metaphorically.

More than anything I'm saying this to myself.

Heather | July 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I couldn't even get through your first sentence without getting jealous of your husband. I dated a few guys that I could speak metaphorically with. Now I have to remind myself of all the wonderful reasons I married a guy who takes everything literally before I can even finish reading your post.

....What a great post! Reading your blog makes up for not marrying a metaphorically-thinking guy.

The Way I See It | July 17, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I love this. You are so right.