day thirty: open road

Once, when I was maybe 14, I rode in the back of a little pick up truck all the way from my house outside of Washington DC to the North Carolina coast. Yeah, about 7 hours. Wind-whipped and unrestrained. I went with my friend and her parents down to their beach house for a couple of weeks. I am sure my parents would have objected had they known about the conditions of the drive.

I like the road, though. I like to get in my nice comfy car and just go somewhere, sometimes clueless as to my destination. Recently I drove all the way around Utah Lake, which is a pretty good trek. I would say about 100 miles from my driveway and back again. I listened to a cool mix of music and drove and thought. And thought. It lubes my mind, and I come home feeling like I could use a good oil change.

8 comments

Connie | September 18, 2009 at 5:56 AM

Meditation is good for the soul, especially when there's beautiful scenery. Nice thoughts.

Luann | September 18, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I really need to try that drive sometime.

Juliana | September 18, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I'm with you on that one! The open road is sometimes SO beckoning! After my baby gets here and gets a bit older, let's plan a road trip since I had to miss the last one. :)

Barbaloot | September 18, 2009 at 8:32 AM

I've never been much of a fan of driving. I don't necessarily mind if I'm just a passenger---but I don't love being the navigator. Interested to see the different things we all enjoy:)

April | September 18, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I love the solitude of a drive, as long as there are no pace cars in my way!

Camille | September 18, 2009 at 1:57 PM

My favorite drive ever taken was in a Jeep Wrangler around the island of Oahu! There's just something about the open road - feeling the breeze through your hair and in your face - that is so relaxing and enjoyable!

Lanie | September 18, 2009 at 5:27 PM

How right you are about Dad and I objecting to the means of transportation to the beach. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

charrette | September 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Just yesterday I was looking at the lake and thinking I'd like to drive around to see what the other side is like...