day eighty-eight: welcome to the couch

Saturdays used to be a great day, but I don't like them so much anymore.  They are either filled with tons of homework or housework or home repairs or, ironically, none of these things.  The lack of a routine can be hard once you have lived the life of someone who is totally addicted to the rigidity of a strict schedule all week.

The mind can play tricks on us and we fill any free time we find on a Saturday with too much hashing things out.  Too much analyzing of our lives.  Too much talking things through.  Even though I am a girl I must admit that I am not big on these skills.  I prefer to just be busy and to take care of the things at hand.  I guess I don't dream big or have huge needs.  I can be happy with my little life the way it is.  It seems to work for me.

Add all of the putting-our-lives-under-a-microscope healthy reevaluating together and you get a tired lady at the end of the day.  But I always look forward to Sundays and the chance to think about bigger things.  The two days seem to really cancel each other out.

5 comments

Luann | November 15, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Every weekend should be three days. The first one to catch up on all the business of life that starts slipping behind during the work week, one to spend in worship, and a third to effectively untie the knots before we go back to work. Two days just never seems like enough time to accomplish all of that.

Lara Neves | November 15, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Saturdays are always a hard day for me, too. Because I tend to want to crash and waste my time after such a full week. But, Sunday does tend to cancel that out, too.

Heidi | November 16, 2009 at 9:25 AM

I hear ya! The kids are bored, I'm tired and just want to be a couch potato but feeling stressed about all the things I put off all week to do on Saturday. And then there are the expectations of the spouse--it's enough to make one crazy! It's a relief to go to church on Sunday.

wendy | November 16, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I remember Saturdays being really hectic too---------and all of a sudden it isn't fun anymore due to all the chores etc.
NOW ------for me, every day is a saturday to do as we please.

Dedee | November 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Love Sundays. Hate Saturdays. I hate the feeling like I should be getting so much done and doing none of it and wanting to play and not.

Love Sundays.