day eighty-nine: random memories

random memory #1
When I was a little girl I loved to sit on the floor of my BFF's walk-in closet and play with Barbies, or with the Sunshine Family.  A blond mom, a brunette dad, a couple of kids (and maybe a dog... I can't remember).  The shelves acted as floors to the homes and my friend and I sat back-to-back for hours playing happy family.  There were the typical wardrobe changes every five minutes, the cool cars each family would drive, and the constant rearranging of the plastic furniture.  It was glorious.

random memory #2
My black and white checked polyester pants with the permanent creases down the legs.  They also had cuffs and were bell-bottoms.  Man, those were cool.

random memory #3
Walking to 7-11 in third grade with Kathy Green and hearing her swear like a sailor.  I always felt so gross once I got home, but I was wimpy then and never said anything to her about it.

random memory #4
Helping my friend Karen clean her house and listening to Cheap Trick turned up so loud that we had to yell to talk to each other.

Why are there so many little memories like that that stick to the mind and heart like glue?  And so many things I should remember, but can't.  It is so random what we hold onto. 

8 comments

Luann | November 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Visiting my cousin in Winfield, KS. We would sort through the pile of hand me downs she had for me. I'd put on a "new" outfit and we would walk to the corner store and buy candy cigarettes (not joking). Later we would play an epic game of wiffle ball in the back yard with our brothers and what ever neighbors happened along.

Kazzy | November 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Love it. Keep sharing, people!

Heather of the EO | November 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Sleeping in my Grandma's sewing room with my cousin. We'd have sleeping bags on the floor and then we'd talk and talk until she would cover her head with her blanket and fall asleep. I never understood how she could breathe under there :)

Watching my neighbor (around my age) dance around her driveway with her boom box blaring "We Built This City" and giggling (from behind a tree)

Sitting in the back of the school bus and eating fundraiser candy bars, the kind with caramel in the middle.

Eating Tootsie Pops at basketball games with my friend, Sheralyn. She had asthma and I was always worried that if we laughed too hard she'd have an asthma attack.

I could go on and on. I loved thinking about this. Thanks, Kazzy :) I have many Barbie memories like yours too.

Connie | November 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Putting Kool-Aid in a pint jar, a sandwich in a brown bag and hiking up the hill across the street from my house to have a picnic by the old water tank with my friends or my brother.
I can't remember what I did on Saturday but do have random memories from WAAAYYY long ago!

Heidi | November 16, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I have certain memories that come up whenever I do something--I think of my sister in law taking me shopping every time I use a curling iron. There is absolutely no connection--I don't get it. It wasn't even a particularly happy memory. Brains are weird (except for yours--yours is beautiful).

wendy | November 16, 2009 at 11:05 AM

fun memories for sure.

I remember going to the community center where I grew up (when in elementary school) and I took skating lessons, tap dance lessons and baton lessons. (I was such a geek) but it was fun.

and while in high school I loved my oxford shoes and knee socks. THAT WAS THE LOOK.

and I remember skipping classes (oops)

and I'd buy coffee crisp chocolate bars while in jr. high (thinking I was being all naughty with the whole coffee thing........sheeesh)

Dedee | November 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM

It's those moments that keep us live, I think? The random memories. I think I'm going to write a post like this.

Melanie Jacobson | November 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Ah, Barbies. I used to clean out empty tuna cans and fill them with water and then assemble my supplies: food coloring, bread ties, and paper towels. I spent many hours dyeing the paper towels to make Barbie the hippest clothes on the block. I think tht was the start and finish of my craftiness, but those were some good times.