day eighty-seven: i have become the old person

Tonight we went out to dinner with three other couples, two of whom are moving within the next month.  We wanted to have a fun night out before they left, so we piled in and rode to a neighboring town together for some steaks, some sweet potatoes, and some salad.

We have now been in our neighborhood for 15 years.  Where has the time gone?  I can remember like yesterday being the new family on the street, and now my husband and I we are the old ones (all three of the other couples are in their 30s) who look at the younger incoming (and outgoing) couples and say,  Look at that cute little family.  Or, They look like they are 15!  Scary.

Somebody pass the Polident and Bengay.

9 comments

Anonymous | November 14, 2009 at 7:40 AM

My husband and I both have jobs at our alma mater-- and ever year the college students look more like wee babes. We've become "the students that never left"-- the ones we used to make fun of when we were young and significantly less gray. :)

Emma | November 14, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I agree the time goes to fast!!

Connie | November 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM

It happens to the best of us! (sigh)

AnneMarie | November 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM

We are in the same position! We moved into our home 16 years ago next month and everyone was brand new. (New home subdivision) Our primary had 4 nursery classes of 20+ kids, a huge junior primary, a small senior primary, about 8 youth and very few older couples. Now we are the "old ones"--but I'm not ready for the polident yet!

wendy | November 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Man I hear ya. I had lived in my neighborhood for 27 years before moving up here. IMAGINE --27 years.
Suddenly, I was the elderly one.

Time truly marches on

did you find your bengay
I seem to have misplaced my false teeth

Juliana | November 14, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Well, I know one of your neighbors is turning 90 years old today! And she's just as sprightly as ever. :)

Heidi | November 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Bwwaahhaaaa!!

Heidi | November 16, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Ummm, I was laughing at the polident comment, btw.

Dedee | November 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I'm getting that way. It's so odd. I'm not that old, and yet I see the people around me and I feel like I've suddenly become the example.