day ninety-three: friends who knew me when

Last week I spoke to my roommate from back in the day.  Her oldest son is getting married in Salt Lake next month and we spent an hour chatting it up about letting kids go, the changing role of being a mother, and trying to find our way once there are fewer demands at home.  It was good to talk to her, both because she is a sweetie and because she knew me when.

On Saturday my second roomie will be in town introducing her daughter to BYU, and we will get together for lunch.  We are going to laugh our heads off and eat wraps and reminisce.  She is important to me.  And she knew me when.

Next week my third roommate will be in Utah to visit her in-laws for Thanksgiving and we are getting together on Tuesday for lunch (yeah, lots of lunches).  She is a Texan now and has a houseful of blond daughters, which of course is foreign to me.  But we are from the same hometown in Virginia and have a good connection.  And she knew me when.

By "when" I mean the period between living in some bad apartments to each of our wedding days, as we split off from each other one my one.  By "when" I mean late late late nights talking.  "When" means the day my fiance decided the spark was gone and my roommates later helped me to hold a ceremonial bonfire on the front steps where we incinerated most of the memorabilia I had saved for 5 years.

I love those ladies.

7 comments

Luann | November 20, 2009 at 6:24 AM

Three of them! That's so fun! There's something about the friends that knew us when. It's kind of a comfort to spend time with someone that knows where we come from. Plus it's a little like time travel, even if it only lasts for one lunch.

Lara Neves | November 20, 2009 at 6:25 AM

How fun to get together with them! I loved my roommates. There's just a special bond there, by virtue of living together during a very cool time of life.

Kazzy | November 20, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Yeah, it is comforting to get with people that need little or no explanation about who you are. What a liberating thing!

AnneMarie | November 20, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Long time friends are great! I was able to get together with a college roommate (whom I haven't seen in a few years) this last weekend in Savannah. What a great time we had--our kids were at home with their dads and we were in a beautiful city enjoying our past and present.

Have a great time with your "she knew me when" friends!

wendy | November 20, 2009 at 2:14 PM

How wonderful -----------that they knew you when-----------
and STILL KNOW YOU NOW
with those same bonds of friendship

enjoy those lunches

Joy Hollingshaus | November 22, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Any of your Moon apt. roomies visiting?

Heidi | December 8, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Love the bonfire idea!