day 106: nodding off

I remember when I was a freshman in college and I could (and often did) stay up until the wee hours studying or talking.  It was fun and a kind of initiation into that new stage of my life.  I bounced back quickly and became used to the thin fog I often lived with.  Yeah, not any more.

During this same week where I find my self yawning all through my assessments class, I find out my own freshman son has been going over to the library at 2 am (open late until Christmas break) with his roommates to dance to the music they play as they are shipping people out and closing the doors.

Just a funny difference between these 2 BYU students in the family.  OK, time to sleep.  I'll dance tomorrow...

9 comments

LisAway | December 3, 2009 at 7:07 AM

Isn't it so weird? I need at LEAST seven hours sleep and I always have to get up early, so too often I don't get it and my level of enthusiasm and energy compared to when 3-5 hours was normal? Um, it's not the same.

Luann | December 3, 2009 at 8:14 AM

I've never been very good at holding up to an all-nighter. Even less so now. Headaches, THICK fog, forgetting the names of my children... but that doesn't mean I never do it. Sometimes a 2 am dance is all that will do. ;)

Barbaloot | December 3, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Late hours in the library? I didn't even use the regular hours when I was there. What a horrible student I was.

Linde | December 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Ah yes, age does catch up with us doesn't it. I hear what Joy's daughter Elizabeth does and how late she stays up and remember when I used to be able to do that. That sort of fun is for the young!! :)

Kimberly Vanderhorst | December 3, 2009 at 2:43 PM

When I was an university I slept every other night for a whole semester. What floors me is not that I did it, but how little I did with that time! Crazy what our bodies let us get away with when we're young.

Connie | December 3, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Dancing in the library! Now THAT'S something to stay up for...when you're young!

charrette | December 3, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I ruined my body pulling all those all-nighters in college...and again pulling all those all-nighters for design deadlines in my office. Now? It kills me if I don't get a full eight hours. I have become either a wimp or a slug.

Erin | December 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I also remember when naps were an abhorrence to me. Now I need them and love them!

Dedee | December 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I remember those days. And I wonder how I survived. I regularly got 5 hours of sleep a night in those days and now I die if I don't have 8.

That the one thing I miss about being in college--the never-ending energy.