day 114: two-way mirror

This morning I observed a reading recovery lesson taught to a first-grader at an elementary school in my district.  I watched through a two-way mirror as the teacher and student sat facing me only a few feet away, unable to see me looking right at them.

It was fascinating to see the little girl looking directly into my face, without knowing I was there.  She made silly faces at herself in the mirror and struck a little pose here and there.  I giggled as I watched her, enjoying her ease as she enjoyed her own reflection.  It was an almost spooky experience, but at the same it was enlightening.

What would someone think about me if they watched me from behind my mirror as I brushed my teeth or put on make up?  Would He see me comfortable with my own face?  Would I come across as insecure?  I look at myself, first thing in the morning especially, and think, "Where am I?  Who replaced my face in the middle of the night?"  In general I am fine with me.  Often when I lean in close to look into my own eyes I see myself.  Deep in there.  And I say, "There you are.  You are pretty cool."

6 comments

Connie | December 11, 2009 at 7:28 AM

I agree that you are pretty cool. What a fun time to watch that little girl through the two-way mirror. Children are fun to watch!
"Isn't it?"

Anonymous | December 11, 2009 at 8:49 AM

not just cool. Beautiful. :)

Lara Neves | December 11, 2009 at 10:26 AM

I like looking into my own eyes, too. Sometimes just my face is a stranger to me.

Kimberly Vanderhorst | December 11, 2009 at 12:47 PM

What a thought-provoking post!

I don't like my reflection and so I avoid looking in the mirror, so I put off leaving the house so I don't have to face the mirror for the pre-leaving the house look over. Kinda sad. I need to get over that and be more like that little girl...

Linde | December 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Congrats on your son coming home. That is so exciting!!!

Heather of the EO | December 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Yes, you are pretty cool. I love what you said about looking deeply into your eyes. Yup, you're still in there, and you're looking pretty beautiful to me!