day 109: wishes

One little girl wants a Barbie.  Another wants a fairy.  A third one wants a dragon.  Pretty cool, I thought.

One boy wants a transformer.  Another a remote control jeep.  A third one wants a pink bike.  Okay...

Dontcha just love the tolerance of little kiddos? 

They have no idea that they are in a magical time when most 5 year-olds don't judge each other over things they wish for.  It is impossible to recollect that kind of innocence. I do remember my youngest walking around in my high heels a lot when he was about that age, but now it is starting to be about image, and the thin little veil has been lifted and replaced by commercials. 

Can innocence be regained, really?

6 comments

LisAway | December 6, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Interesting. You know, I think it comes back with age and maturity. Maybe not for everyone, but I remember in high school when I looked at everyone's pants to see what brand they were before I decided whether or not I liked them (I blush to admit) but I'm very much the opposite now. And the older people get the more they realize what matters and how different we all are etc. etc. so the judging goes away and we learn to make choices based more on our own feelings and not how we're "supposed to" feel.

I was just helping the kids wrap their Christmas presents for each other and Ev said something about what to get me (Greg and I aren't big on presents for each other) I told her that I'd like to get a new laundry basket. She thought that was hilarious. How fun! How glamorous! But whatever. It's what I want. I don't care how dumb it is to want a laundry basket for Christmas. I'm even mentioning it here on the Internet for all to read. See? Age. Maturity.

Connie | December 6, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Doesn't one little boy want a castle? I know of one 18 year old boy who hasn't lost the innocence. He'll wear a Christmas vest to prove it!

Kimberly Vanderhorst | December 6, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Neil actually bought himself a castle (lego) for Christmas. I love and admire the way he doesn't care what people think - just goes for what he wants. I could learn a lot from him, as well as from my girls.

Thought-provoking post!

April | December 6, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I have a son who doesn't succumb to peer pressure. He has taught me so much!

Melanie Jacobson | December 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM

My oldest boy wanted pink cowgirl boots when he was three. I admit, I wasn't open-minded enough to buy them.

Dedee | December 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM

If you figure it out, let me know.

Al though I do think that the older I get, the more I realize that I no longer care. I'm still not 100 percent there, but I'm trying.