day 107: leah and rachel

I was reading in the Old Testament the other morning about the story of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel.  Of course, I already knew the story, but as I pack in life experience and read the same scriptures over again they seem different.

Jacob works for 7 years for Rachel, only to be told at the end that it would be against the culture to have the younger daughter marry first.  So after marrying Leah he works an additional slew of years for the privilege of having Rachel, finally, as his wife.  There are so many things to think about in reading this story, like the ages of the people, the circumstances in the family, etc.  But I was taken, reading it this time, by the persistence and love of Jacob.  So I asked my husband if he would work 14 years to marry me.

Geo's answer:  No, I would steal you away in the night.

What a romantic... sigh

11 comments

Barbaloot | December 4, 2009 at 9:16 AM

If I finally found a man that wanted to marry me and my dad insisted he work 7 years first---I'd let myself be stolen away in the night.

Kimberly Vanderhorst | December 4, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Aww...romantic indeed!

Kazzy | December 4, 2009 at 9:38 AM

B- LOL. I am so with you on that one.

K- when you marry an English prof there is a good chance that he will be a real woo-er!

Lara Neves | December 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM

That is the best answer ever. Love it!

That Girl | December 4, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I like that. I like that a lot. (And he married her right after he married Leah, yes? He still had to work the 7 years, but I don't think he had to WAIT 7 more years ... I think.)

Marianne | December 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM

LOVE IT!!!

Erin | December 4, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Oh, that's very sweet.

wendy | December 5, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Oh man, that is so neat!!!!!!!!!!

Luann | December 6, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Did you see the wedding episode of The Office? The one where Jim cut his tie to make Pam feel better about tearing her veil before the ceremony...? Fishing for some romance, I asked my hubby if he would cut his tie for me. He looked deep into my eyes and said, "It depends on the tie."

Maybe I should send him over and have Geo give him a few wooing lessons. :P

Dedee | December 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Sweet!!! I love it! I'm going to ask Faramir and see what he says.

Heidi | December 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Woo hoo!