day 129: the wall




Every year since we have been in this house (10 now) my kids have built a wall at the bottom of the stairs on Christmas eve. Their bedrooms are downstairs. They use pillows, blankets, couch cushions. There have even been years when they pulled the mattresses off their beds and used them to fortify the wall. On those nights they slept in sleeping bags, side by side, acting like sentinels guarding the gate. But the thing is, they were guarding it against themselves, keeping themselves away from the temptation of sneaking upstairs prematurely.

Sometimes walls can be good, even critical things, when we know ourselves well enough to pick the right materials. We also need to know when we are allowed to kick them down and run through them with enthusiasm and trust, like all four of my blessings did this morning once we stood at the top and welcomed them.

6 comments

Anonymous | December 26, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Oh Kazzy, I hope you know that your overflowing joy this Christmas has increased mine. :)

Luann Hawker | December 26, 2009 at 9:35 AM

How is it possible that I have never known about this Christmas gem of yours? I love it! They know the limits of their ability to withstand temptation and set out to fortify each other against it. Good boys, yours. :)

Dedee | December 26, 2009 at 10:10 AM

That is an awesome tradition! I think I need a basement so my kids can sleep in it and build walls. :)

Connie | December 26, 2009 at 11:01 PM

My younger kids have always slept in the same room on Christmas eve. They either help each other to stay away from the Christmas tree or they are comrades in sneaking out to see. This year, I was awakened at 7:00 by a text that said, "Is it time?" That was OK, since 7 was sleeping in. My how times have changed!
The picture of your 4 blessings, ready to come up the stairs, is priceless!

Mrs4444 | December 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Sweet-They'll treasure those memories for years to come. So sweet.

Heidi | January 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM

LOVE that picture!