day 130: eradicating disease, going 3D, and musing

HOLIDAY FUN:

Our good friends came over to play games tonight. We got the board game PANDEMIC for Christmas and we spent hours trying to cure the entire planet of four deadly diseases.  Hey, it's tough to heal everyone in the world!  We laughed and worked together.  We suffered through multiple epidemics and outbreaks until we finally found success in our scientific endeavors.  Great game that was a real challenge.  I highly recommend it.

Last night we went to see AVATAR on the IMAX screen in 3D.  I thoroughly enjoyed this one.  The visuals were unreal, and the CGI characters beame so real to me that in only a few minutes I found myself thinking of them as actors with make-up on.  Really really beautiful to look at.  Some of the characters were cliche, but I enjoyed the plot and thought it was masterfully done.

My two sons have introduced me to the band MUSE over the break, and I must admit that I think they are extremely talented.  Great vocals by the lead, and thoughtful lyrics that are carried off so well.  These guys have been touted as one of the best live bands around right now.  Yeah, I am 45, but good, well-executed music is fulfilling across any genre.  I am thinking of getting theier newest CD off of iTunes.

Just some random discoveries over the past few days.  Hope your hoidays are also going well.

7 comments

Christy Burnett | December 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM

I just finished loading all my CD's on our Itunes computer. So I am trying to have more music going on in the house. Hey enjoy your break, I have to work this week. :(

Barbaloot | December 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Muse is one of my all-time favorite bands. And, it's true, they're AMAZING live! I would love to go to another one of their concerts. Have you heard their song Butterflies and Hurricanes? There's a middle section that's got hints of Rachmoninoff in it---so cool. And William Joseph did a piano cover of it as well. Good stuff.

Luann | December 27, 2009 at 10:52 AM

A fitting game for the year of the H1N1. I wonder if it was one of the diseases that you saved the world from.

I enjoyed Avatar, too. I've already seen it twice. :)

I'm going to have to check out Muse. I'm always on the lookout for some fresh talent to listen to. Here's a shout out to your boys to thank them for keeping us old people up on the latest pop culture.

Mrs4444 | December 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I've been hearing about Muse, too. I guess I should give them a listen! :)

Our favorite game continues to be Apples to Apples. Have you played it?

I've been hearing great reviews for Avatar, too; it's next on my list for movies. Glad you've been making the most of your holiday break :)

Juliana | December 27, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Pandemic is my favorite! Josh just bought me the expansion ("On the Brink") for Christmas and I'm itching to try it out! We'd love to get together and figure it out with you. :)

Unknown | December 28, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Hey, we got Pandemic too! We are board game freaks! I got 4 or 5 games for the kids, and we have so far only had time to play our extra Killer Bunnies cards. Pandemic, Dominion, El Grande and others to come later this week...

Heidi | January 4, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I loved Avatar way more than I thought I would. The previews were all so, er, BLUE--but the movie was a colorful feast. Not sure why that matters so much . . .