proven

self portrait using the iphone app icolorama

Social proof is a principle my husband teaches in his literature and writing classes.  It is the idea of creating content that is connectable with many others through new media, and through its connection becomes legitimate and real.  Geo's students are on fire about it.  The traditional research paper seems dead once we consider immediate and meaningful dialogues that we can be a part of through this way of researching and writing.  He encourages his students to publish drafts on their blogs.  To write about the process.  To use social media to connect with others that have similar reading and writing interests.  Twitter, Google+, etc.

I think of the metaphor.  Allowing ourselves to show some of our own growth.  The rough drafts of our own learning.  Of our own lives.  Taking the risk of being "proven" through relationships.  Not necessarily to define our worth, but more to sort through our thoughts and progress.  This is one reason I love to blog.  The way we are able to feel socially engaged and to know we have an audience, no matter the size.  And the opportunity it gives us to return and report.  

Writing into a void rarely serves anyone.  

12 comments

Lara Neves | June 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I have always loved the concept of return and report. Simply because I am not self-motivated enough to do without it.

Stacy | June 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I haven't been writing as much lately, but there is something so valuable to me about documenting what is happening- what we are feeling, doing and experiencing. Blogging has kept me documenting my life like an old-fashioned journal never did.

Anonymous | June 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You have such charm, Kazzy. And such wisdom.

I'm with Lara on the concept of Return and Report (which touches me that you used that phrase). And I'm also with Stacy on how blogging has helped me write more of my life than I could ever tolerate of journaling.

Blogging definitely helps me process and sort. It also frees me from that same processing, allows me to pull out the confusion and I'm left with less rough edges.

Barbaloot | June 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Then again, I seem to be a little more honest when I just write into the void and know I won't have an audience:)

Melanie Jacobson | June 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Amen.

Emily | June 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I should do more writing to help sort out my thoughts. Perhaps I'm too scared of what I'll find out and that's why I keep posting recipes. ;)

wendy | June 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

the rough drafts of our own learning....very good.
I have kinda of seen myself "evolve" some over the course of my blogging.
And, I have LEARNED and GROWN so much from reading others blogs.
Hearing their experiences and the way they interpret "life".
I adore you.

Valerie | June 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I love to go back and read my old blog posts and see what I was thinking and feeling and how I expressed it. Sometimes I even think, "Did I write that?" :) So I seem to learn as much from me as others learn about me.

Rachel Cotterill | June 16, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Putting a draft out there and having an open mind with regard to feedback is definitely a good way to improve at anything, in my experience. Not that I'm always brave enough to do it!

Connie | June 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM

If you wrote this to make me feel guilty...well...it sorta worked, sorta.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan | June 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Great post.
Great picture of you.

Ken Craig | June 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

You just blew my mind. How are you so accessible and intimidating at the same time?