warm focus


When you blow air with your mouth wide open as big as you can it spreads out and loses its power before it can reach your hand at the end of your outstretched arm. But blow air with puckered lips and it keeps its focus all the way out to that same hand.

I have learned from my photographer BFF, ladyhawker, that the same is true when setting the aperture on your camera. A large aperture might give a wider shot but the depth of field is more shallow. And, in contrast, a smaller aperture will give a deep depth of field.

I have had to learn this truth over and over in my personal life. Keep my eye on the prize. Keep my focus. I want that hand to feel my warm breath.

8 comments

Luann | November 24, 2008 at 7:04 AM

Not surprisingly, I love photography analogies. :) Really a cool photo and thoughtful post. May you forever live at f/32, my friend!

The Ferrins | November 24, 2008 at 9:38 AM

You inspire me....Thanks!

Heidi | November 24, 2008 at 10:18 AM

This picture is incredible! You are so darn creative!

LisAway | November 24, 2008 at 12:24 PM

That is so interesting. Like, I'm going to be thinking about it all evening interesting.

Heather of the EO | November 24, 2008 at 8:42 PM

You are just simply amazing!!! Love this.

Melanie Jacobson | November 26, 2008 at 7:05 AM

Why, oh why, have I never come here before?

I'll be back. And back again.

Randi | November 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM

Hi there! I just came over from Lisa's. I love your blog!

Kazzy | November 26, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Thanks for visiting, Mel J and JustRandi (and all of my other blog friends). I'll go check out your sites too. Take care.