day 182: 4 little ducks went out to play, over the hill and far away


As I sit here in my living room I look under my chair and see a little yellow rubber ducky.  It strikes me as strange because my kids are getting older and don't really play with toys anymore, unless you count the PS3 and the mac as toys.  Someone found this little duck somewhere in the house and it made its way here, under this chair, in my nice quiet room.

But the nostalgic bundle of raw nerves that I am can't manage to pick it up.  If I pick it up it means that I won't have that visual reminder of little brunnette (and one redhead) boys running around giggling and playing and leaving a trail.  It means that I might forget that stuff, and I don't want to.  I don't want to get caught up in being 46 with only three months left of an elementary-aged kid in the house.  Even when I thoroughly enjoy my age and my station (which I regularly do), it is hard to come to terms with the upcoming loss of some things.

Some things like legos under foot, plastic army men, stuffed animals all over the family room downstairs.  That has all been traded for iPods, ear buds, and the strong smell of aftershave that seems to live here in the air like another family member recently. 

I reluctantly pick up the ducky.  And I think it winks at me. 

11 comments

Dona | February 16, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I bet that duck did wink at you.

LisAway | February 17, 2010 at 12:39 AM

There will be more rubber ducks in your life! I bet that one was winking because he knows it's only a matter of a few years before he's floating in a little tub again!

I'm trying to relish all the legos I have underfoot. :)

Marianne | February 17, 2010 at 7:00 AM

Thanks. I needed that!!

Connie | February 17, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Isn't life wonderful?

Kazzy | February 17, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Thanks, Lisa. You are so right.

Dedee | February 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I'm going to cry.

And I bet it did wink!

Juliana | February 17, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Awww, I know! I am trying to slow down and enjoy every snuggle, every wet kiss, every mispronounced word before it's too late. I've spent too many years thinking, "I'm just not good with young children." Too much wasted time!

When you visited yesterday, Elijah was so cute with you. He's usually so shy and takes forever to come out of his shell around people he doesn't know well, but you have a gift! Thanks for the visit!

Kimberly Vanderhorst | February 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Oh the bittersweetness of it! I can only imagine. How hard it must be to leave each stage of growth behind...and yet how amazing to embrace each new one. Well said!

Anonymous | February 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Time goes by way too fast .. Especially, I'm sure, with kids!

wendy | February 17, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I get it Kazzy ---all of it.
they grow so fast
we want to "hold on"
save the little toys for the grandkids.
It is a circle
a circle

Luann | February 19, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Awww, cute duckie. Did you ever figure out how it got there? :)