day 102: sharp ice

Tonight I hung lights around the front porch.  White, red. Some winding around posts, and others coming down from the top in small crooked white lines meant to resemble icesicles. 

I have had some icesicles in my life.  They have also felt jagged and white cold.  And I have strung them up and looked at them as if I were a bystander on the front sidewalk looking at a lit up house.  They have, not in a good way, lit my way.  And I have held these icesicles in my hand and somehow they have not melted. 

But today the red lights win.  Today the warm red has worked its wonderful Christmas magic and thawed out my hands.  My hands that were getting tired of holding sharp daggers.  And as the ice melted I opened my hands to find them softer and more relaxed.  Ready to do other things as I released my grip.

5 comments

wendy | November 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM

very nice --- I am waiting for my icicles to melt.
I NEED them to melt.

Luann | December 1, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Put on that red light. I need to melt some ice of my own.

April | December 5, 2009 at 12:59 AM

My icicles are finally melting!!! It's been sooooo long! But they are melting!!! I am so happy for your experience!

Dedee | December 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM

That was beautiful!

Heidi | December 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Oh, dear--so sorry about the icicles. Honestly, I think I tend to shy away from women b/c they can be so darn difficult, you know? But they are also the best of the best--some white, shiny and cold, some red and warm. Thanks for being the red kind.