day eighty-five: social eating




from google images

I am a social person.  I kind of thrive on interaction, and everything that comes with it.  And sometimes what comes with it is food.  Whenever we have people over for dinner I always make too much food, and while we are all sitting around the table talking after the meal I substitute that glass of wine or cup of coffee with nibbling.  I put more salad on my plate, or butter just one more piece of french bread, even though I am not hungry. It goes together for me- good conversation and food.

Tonight we went to a wedding reception, right after dinner with the kids, and I found myself doing it again.  We had just had dinner before going to Mapleton to attend the reception, but I ran into many many old friends and immediately wandered to the buffet table while we talked and picked up some chicken salad and a piece of pumpkin pie.  We sat around the table and visited and ate.  And now I am going to bed full, not just from food but from a lovely evening with old friends.  burp.  Excuse me.

8 comments

LisAway | November 12, 2009 at 2:30 AM

I thrive on food and everything that comes with it. And sometimes what comes with it is social interaction. And I love that. :)

Emma | November 12, 2009 at 6:57 AM

yummy!!! It's ok just enjoy.

Luann | November 12, 2009 at 7:15 AM

I know you would never know it to look at me (Ha!) but I'm a serial after meal nibbler.

A conversation seems to rise to a new level when it happens around a table holding food. There is just something personal and intimate that happens when we share food as friends. It's a kind of communion.

Plus, that chicken salad was amazing! Who could have passed that up?

Lara Neves | November 12, 2009 at 7:25 AM

It is way too easy for me to overeat this way. I really have to watch it. But it is still so much fun to be with people and talk and eat.

Dedee | November 12, 2009 at 7:44 AM

I am very that way! I'm afraid that's how I gained the 40 lbs that I'm still trying to lose. I love food, especially dessert, and there is something about sharing it with other people.

It's awesome!

Now I'm hungry!

Miss Brandy | November 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM

amen! That's why I've decided never to diet (because I'm happy in my addiction), and just move more. So next time you see me at a party I'll probably be doing jumping jacks while we chat.

wendy | November 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I hear ya about the social eating. I love to "nibble" too.
I could eat a whole pumpking bread by myself ---cause when I "nibble" on it all day. It doesn't feel like I am actually eating a big piece.
justified.......NOPE

but better then those calories, you were able to fill up with what is most nutritious ------good company

Heidi | November 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Sounds like it was worth it.