day seventy-eight: butch payne and the school bus kid

I liked rules when I was a kid.  Now, that doesn't mean I was inflexible or judgmental, but some nice, well-placed rules were comforting.  I guess I am still that way. And once this almost got me into a humiliating situation, until I was saved.

Mr. Ashby, the hey-walk-all-over-me-kids bus driver, was driving the bus down Smithfield Road in my old neighborhood one afternoon.  I had seen Butch Payne and another boy throwing things out the window, and being only a few seats from the front decided to make my move to Mr. Ashby to report the offense.  After turning around to get back to my seat Butch started forward down the aisle calling me a goody-goody and, I am sure, other things which were not quite so innocent.  All of a sudden he was grabbed from behind by a much shorter boy who laid him flat on the floor of the aisle and proceeded to punch him a few times in the face.

Now, I don't promote violence, usually, but Butch was gunning for me, and I am not sure that decking a girl was out of the question.  So to this day I am grateful to the young man who stood up for me.  My brother Robert. 

There haven't been many occasions where this has been necessary over the years, but it is nice to know that as a family we don't let people come down the aisle after us.  We are there for each other.  Isn't that what it's all about?

8 comments

Connie | November 5, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Love it! What a great brother! I hope Mr. Ashby didn't decide to get a spine at that point and get upset with your brother. Love the name of Butch Payne for the bully!
Family is the best!

Luann | November 5, 2009 at 7:53 AM

Way to go, Robert! I wonder if my brother would ever have done that for me.

Heidi | November 5, 2009 at 8:08 AM

That first line in the 3rd paragraph is such a winner! I'll bet Robert lives a bit too far away from you at the moment to keep up with that level of protectiveness. I do so love our modern means of communication--it makes everyone seem so much nearer.

Midge | November 5, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Great story! I am always telling my kids to look out for each other. In the end, nobody has your back but your family.

Kimberly Vanderhorst | November 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Love it! Sadly, I think my brother would've cheered a kid like Butch on...

Dedee | November 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I remember when my brother found out the neighbor boy was annoying me. That stopped fast.

And I remember watching my son go after a cousin whom he thought was beating up his sister.

Love it!

Lanie | November 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Knowing Rob the way I do...he would still take care of you whenever needed...family, isn't it the greatest...

Jenny | November 6, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Love it!