day one-hundred: lip-licking and lip-syncing

A terrific day at the in-laws today with cousins and food and great conversation.  It was nice to get out and away from the books and to just be with people that I like a lot.  Man, I love the holidays.  And this 6-week stretch from Thanksgiving to New Years is like magic as we get the occasion to count our blessings, remember the Savior and look toward a fresh beginning.  The three go together so well, don't you think?

My youngest and I were watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this morning and I commented on the lip-syncing of all of the musical numbers that were highlighted.  #4 said they were still singing, we just were hearing the recorded version, so what's the difference?  He was right.  We could see their strained neck muscles and the effort on their faces.  What WAS the difference?  It made me think about all of the times that the real me is somewhere in there, but maybe the person that has actually shown up is the one that has been prerecorded with all of the mistakes edited out and the shiny best on display.  Maybe we all lip-sync most of the time.  And maybe that is just fine.

4 comments

Connie | November 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM

That's how we make and keep friends. But our real friends will still love us when we're not mili vanilli.
100 straight days of blogging! You're amazing!

Lara Neves | November 27, 2009 at 9:48 AM

And as long as it's their own recorded voices they're lip syncing too, it's fine. Especially in a venue like that.

I really like your analogy though. Sometimes, we just don't have it in is to be our very best, so we have to rest on our past laurels a bit and hope the next venue is easier to sing for real in.

Dedee | November 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM

You could totally tell it was lip syncing.

But done way better than me.

Here's hoping most people see the real me.

Heidi | December 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM

They didn't used to do so much lip-syncing, did they? I never noticed it as much as I have this past few years). As for family and the holidays . .. my oldest sister (who swore back in August that she would never have another family gathering b/c of my tantrum, I suppose) uninvited all of us for dinner (it was her turn to throw it) and I just found out that she invited another sister and her family anyway. Hrumph!!!