day 228: for my sake

He was born into this world like the rest of us.  A pink little baby with an adoring mother who cuddled him and whispered things into His little ears that she hoped he understood.  Things like, You are my little miracle.  You will save us.  

When He became lost at the temple there must have been frustration.  He lost track of time.  He was just finishing up something He was meant to do.  He had a purpose that day.  And the next.  And the next.  And He said things like, I was about my Father's business.

When he started gathering followers to help keep His message alive, there were those who disliked Him.  They spread rumors and sought His life.  They mocked Him and hurt Him.  They betrayed Him and hung Him.  Humiliation and loneliness.  And He said things like, Forgive them.


Three days in a dark stone tomb, and then He stood.  Calling to Mary.  Showing wounds to His apostles.  Teaching.  Again.  And I read this story over and over and can't quite absorb it all.  The love. The sacrifice. The power.  And I say, For my sake did these things happen.  For me.  Me?  

7 comments

Robin | April 4, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I don't think I will ever truly understand.

The Beauforts | April 4, 2010 at 3:22 AM

Absolutely beautiful! I've had that same thought many times, as I'm sure almost everyone has.

gigi | April 4, 2010 at 6:40 AM

And for me! Happy Easter!

Valerie | April 4, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Beautiful thoughts for a beautiful Easter Morn. He is risen, as He said!

Lola Sharp | April 4, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Happy Easter.
This is a lovely post.

Lara Neves | April 4, 2010 at 7:51 PM

So beautifully put. And so important to remember.

Happy Easter!

Heidi | April 4, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Watching conference today I was struck with the thought that he had to experience every bad thing in order to give the atonement the power that it does. The one who deserved it least suffered the most. It really is beyond comprehension and makes me feel ashamed for whining.