day 248: to see you

He was sitting across the room from me this evening and I thought to myself how different he looked when he played that role.  When he grabbed his ringing phone to answer a call from someone who needed help in our neighborhood.  I don't mean his facial expression looked different.  It was more than that.  It was like the way my baby always looked different when someone else was holding him, as if his entire body and mannerisms and even countenance were altered. 

It made me wonder how physically different I look when I play my roles.  If the same person were to observe me teaching a dozen 5-year olds what sound a "T" makes, then teaching the women in my congregation, and then helping my children with homework, would I be recognizable?


How does God see me?

10 comments

Robin | April 24, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Intriguing thoughts to ponder. And when you add in the filters we all see through, other's perceptions change even more. But God has no filters and knows the real me. So I guess the real question is, who am I really?

Kazzy | April 24, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Exactly.

LisAway | April 24, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Very neat thoughts.

We just watched Avatar and I like the greeting "I see you".

Rachel Cotterill | April 24, 2010 at 2:44 AM

Fascinating. I wonder if I seem different when I'm doing different things.

CiCi | April 24, 2010 at 5:31 AM

That is one thing I finally truly learned in the past two years. It is so freeing to just be me in all situations. Not my problem what other people think of me. I try to be the best I can be and true to myself. I think I was already on my way to being like this when I met hubby and we were not trying to impress each other or be something we thought the other would want to see in us.

becca | April 24, 2010 at 6:51 AM

That is a beautiful way to look at what I usually consider the flakiness of my different personas (personae?). You make it lovely instead of inconsistent.

The Crash Test Dummy | April 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Aw, that was sweeeeet. You do have cool ponderings!

Lola Sharp | April 24, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I see you as beautiful.

Jenny | April 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Good question. One I certainly need to be asking my self.

The Way I See It | April 28, 2010 at 10:38 AM

So interesting. It made me think about how I am as I play different roles. Hmmm.