day 253: little secret life


We know.  We know, Mom.  It was before us.

These are words I hear from my youngest boys sometimes, because my husband and I share a little secret life with these two in the photo. It is mostly just impressions and faded pictures in their minds, but as clear as day to me.  See, we lived before this life.  Before this Utah life.

We lived under palm trees and in friendly traffic.  We lived in 800 square feet.  We lived with a little lemon tree in the back yard.  We lived on warm sand and on hot sidewalks.  We lived behind graffiti.  We lived across the street from a waving black man, and next door to an eccentric Japanese woman.  We lived in morning fog.  We lived with strollers and diapers and car seats.  We lived.

And though occasional reflection leaves out #3 and #4, I remember and value those years as the time Geo and I got acquainted with each other through experience in a big city, raising these first two sons.  There was struggle and celebration during that little secret life.

12 comments

LisAway | April 29, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Every time you refer to the California days I always feel nostalgic for you. Not sure why. I guess you create such a picture. While we don't have quite the same situation, but there's a 5 year gap between the first two and the last two and I look back on the days with just Ev and Dave almost like we were a different little family. Maybe it's partly because we moved into a new house when Aaron was a baby, and that meant a lot of changes, too.

Dona | April 29, 2010 at 3:44 AM

We had that, sort of, too, when we lived in Kansas. I love living near family but I think every couple should live a few years out on their own.

gigi | April 29, 2010 at 4:46 AM

Big difference than living in Utah.

Lola Sharp | April 29, 2010 at 8:25 AM

I always love coming here.

I enjoyed this nostalgic post.

Bossy Betty | April 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Our lives do have phases to them, don't they? Each phase has its own kind of beauty....

Kimberly Vanderhorst | April 29, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I feel that way about our days in Oregon...so much nostalgia. And our girls were so young they've no memories of that time. A secret life...I've never thought of it that way.

You paint such a lovely picture.

Connie | April 29, 2010 at 4:44 PM

We all have a bit of secret life. Even to our own family!
Although, not sure if it's secret or just unknown to others.
Never the less, it's fun to reminisce. Sounds like you lived in a very eclectic neighborhood.

Kazzy | April 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Not as eclectic as just "city". :)

Lara Neves | April 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Sometimes I can't believe that all my children weren't always with me.

Our Arizona days were just B and C....Sophia was born there, but we moved 3 weeks later and it just doesn't include her, that life.

But it still does, in a way.

wendy | April 29, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I love the little "secret lives" we all live.
they are special and humbling in many ways
simpler
harder
both
and always unforgettable

Jenny | May 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM

It is hard for our children to accept that we lived with out them. I miss CA days my self.

Charlotte | May 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM

It is weird when the memories are only shared with part of the entire family. There will be the memories unique to those two that will be their secret life from their brothers. As the oldest, there are family vacations I missed and inside jokes that must be explained to me.