day 249: blue-grey-green


For an April Seattle morning, it was more clear and dry than expected, with a blue-grey sky that looked a little like the color of the water in the Puget Sound.  We got up early enough to accomodate the full page of plans we had for the day, and drove north to catch the ferry to Whidby Island.  We would have been thrilled to see a whale or two, but were happy enough to just be together as our little family of four.  We stood out on the deck and the cold wind whipped off the water and right onto our faces, both shouting at us and welcoming us at the same time.  I realized then how much I missed water, having been born just a handful of miles from the ocean in Massachusetts, and growing up in a coastal state.  This felt good.

From Whidby we took a second ferry heading even further west, watching the white mountains approaching from inside that ancient rain forest on the Olympic peninsula.  Mountains in a rain forest.  Geo must have said this aloud tens of times as this Rocky Mountain boy tried to wrap his mind around the idea.  

Thai food and a nice walk down the old main street in Port Townsend, where we would spend a couple of hours before ferrying back to the city on a late afternoon trip that allowed us to stand on the bow and take in the whole beautiful view of Seattle as the evening light reflected off the glass buildings.  I wrapped my jacket tight around me and breathed it all in, while the boys explored the whole vessel.


Then I looked down at my right hand where I was wearing the topaz ring Geo had bought me out on the peninsula.  The blue-grey-green stone symbolizing the sky here, and the water, and the endless trees.  A reminder of our break from the everyday.  Our visit with nature.  And mountains in a rain forest.

ps  I've been practicing my french for my musical monday post I will put up tonight.

15 comments

Robin | April 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I'm glad you got back to the ocean. Rejuvenating for you, I'm sure. Your ring is beautiful!

But as I look at it, I see past it, to the table. The table on which so many games have been played. So many dinner parties hosted. And I remember how good you are at finding those things that are truly you to bring you strength.

Bossy Betty | April 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Such a great trip--all combined in the colors of your ring you can carry with you!

Dona | April 25, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I love the ring and the symbolism. I'm glad you had such a good trip.

Jenny | April 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM

The ring is beautiful. Glad you had a refreshing trip.

gigi | April 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I love that memory. Pretty ring too.

Melanie Jacobson | April 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM

We stayed with friends in a house on the water on Whidbey Island for three days. They were lovely days. That's a lovely ring.

The Crash Test Dummy | April 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Ooooh, I lub that ring so much! And I lub it even more now that I know it represents the sky and the sea. No wonder I was hypnotized by it

Connie | April 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Such a beautiful ring and symbol of your break!
Dang, I wish I had known you were singing in French, I could have totally joined you!

TisforTonya | April 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Crash is directing everyone to come over and see your ring - but now I'm just missing our Seattle years and the trips to the Olympic Peninsula... gotta love moss draped trees :)

Dorothy | April 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM

It's so wonderful to get lost in the moment of good travel. Glad you have a wonderful time, recharge and go back to the everyday stress of life with new vitality.

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com

Lara Neves | April 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM

So gorgeous...and what wonderful memories attached. Those are the best kinds of jewels.

InkMom | April 26, 2010 at 7:21 AM

My mom has always said that my eyes are blue-grey-green. Blane, she calls it. I had a boy once tell me my eyes were the color of Long Island Sound. No, I didn't marry him. He was kind of . . . scuzzy. But good with words.

Anyway. Now I want the rind. Beautiful ring, beautiful words.

Heidi | April 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Oh, lovely! Reminders of special events are a must.

Dedee | April 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Seriously, you are such a spectacular writer!

Luann | May 2, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Reading this I can feel and smell the cool Seattle air. Beautiful.

Today I'm catching up on about a week and a half of your blog entries. Each one is beautiful and your writing draws such emotion out of me. Forgive me if I don't comment on each one, but sometimes I feel like there is nothing more I can add. You've already said it better than I can.