day 252: onto the piazza

The journey within the journey.  Yeah, that is what I look for.  When I think about the things that have made me happiest in my life, I realize it has been the small arc here and then the small arc there, all within the larger, extended experience. 

I love the arcades in Torino, Italy.  They are like this.  Long walkways with ribbed ceilings and archways down each side.  The archways go and go and go, and through each one you can see the piazza or the beautiful churches.  Then you face forward again as you walk, with the occasional turn of the head.


The kids come, then grow up and head out on their own.  The developing of talents gives a certain adrenaline rush at first, and then we settle in.  The build up before a trip to the warm beaches of No Carolina.  And it goes on.

But all of these are part of my own arcade.  Little arcs.  Little arcs.  And I turn my head again and again to look out.

11 comments

Connie | April 28, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Beautiful way to look at life.
Never thought of it as little arcs along the way, but then I've never been to Italy.

Debbie | April 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM

I also loved your comparison to arcs. This was quite lovely.

Unknown | April 28, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Gosh, Kaz, this was so beautiful. Absolutely sublime in its brevity and imagery. What a gift you have.

amber_mtmc | April 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM

This is a beautiful metaphor. It is perfect for my somber yet happy day today as I said good-bye to my brother for two years. You know the feeling.

Dedee | April 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM

You really should have been at writers conference. . .

The Crash Test Dummy | April 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM

aw, that is awesome. Lub the way you ponder things!!

Hey, there's Debbie. I haven't seen her forevah! Aloha Debbie! And DeNae! And Amber!

The Crash Test Dummy | April 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM

So are you ahead of yourself in your ponderings? Do you have like 15 already written and ready to go, or do you barely keep up day to day?

Rachel Cotterill | April 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I love that style. There were some great ones in Russia, too :)

Heidi | April 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

That last paragraph--pure poetry.

Rebecca Blevins | April 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Beautiful. I agree, you should have been at the conference too. :)

Lola Sharp | April 29, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Poetry, that.

This is one my favorite of your posts.