day 241: of boys and men


Two of these children are my boys.  The other two are my men.  Here I am almost 46 years old and it is still hard to convince myself that I have children that are adults.  The age spread has made it interesting, not that it was totally planned.  Bookends.  That's what we call our children sometimes.  Two sons, six years, two more.

I always thought, when I was old to enough to start thinking about being a mom someday, that I would have six sons.  There was never any surprise when the ultrasound technician said it was a boy.  Never.  Not once.  No girls ever entered my mental picture of my family.  But that 6-year gap has always kind of baffled me.  We were just settling down after five years of grad school in LA, and our first little guys were 5 and 3 when we came to Utah and bought our first little home.  We were learning how to be stable.  How to have our very own place, with our very own backyard, and our very own washer and dryer, and our very own mortgage.  And God had us wait.  So wait we did.


Then when a couple of more years had passed, along came the last two.  I have been a different kind of mom with these two.  Just a little.  More kicked back, but at the same time more direct.  A little more age and a few more life experiences will do that.

I love.  I am loved back. 

10 comments

Roxy | April 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Love this post, Kazzy. What beautiful pictures. Doesn't it make you proud to take part in the lives of those remarkable people? Well done, Mama. I have four boys myself, and I couldn't imagine my life without them. Thanks for a nice reminder of that.

Juliana | April 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM

What handsome boys and men they are! Thanks for another great post.

Luann | April 17, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I have bookends too, and I love it! :)

It does kind of short circuit my brain to think about how close my oldest are to being on their own. I'm so not ready.

Rachel Cotterill | April 17, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Really interesting to hear what you thought would happen, as well as what has come to pass.

wendy | April 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM

What a great photo. Neat background.
Interesting how things turn out eh.
I thought I was done at 4 ----then 4 years later our last arrived. He was NOT a ooops, but a "surprise" and he has blessed my life in many ways.

good to be loved back

Connie | April 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Each of my children have had a different mother. She may look the same but the mothering skills change over the years.

Glad you're posting those cute pictures of your sons. You're a good mom, no wonder they love you back.

Charlotte | April 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I often wonder what it will be like to have adult children. It is so strange (and fulfilling) to watch them become their own individuals.

Stacy | April 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Love the pictures.

I have two girls very close together, then a five and a hlaf year gap before my son. We are hoping for one more soon, and we're convinced we'll call them the "bigs and the littles."

At first I was worried aboutt wo separate families, but for now, I couldn't ask for better spacing.

Barbaloot | April 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Those are great pictures!

Carrie | April 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

This was so neat to hear- your story of God giving you your children- and the fact that they do eventually grow up is an encouragement to me in itself- sometimes it seems like this nursing and diaper stage will last forever. :)

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog!