day 245: flux

This is in no way meant to sound like a complaint, but this house is in a state of flux.  In, out, in, out.  The last wave started in August, when son #2 left to live in the dorms for a semester before leaving on his mission. It was down to the four of us.  #1 was due home a few months later.  So when December came, #1 got home from Africa, #2 moved out of the dorms and back home, and all 6 of us were a happy, together, family again.  I was happier in those few weeks than I can remember being in recent memory.  Truly.

On New Years Day, #1 was busy repacking everything to move back out (already) to an apartment near BYU, and it was back to five of us.  #2 was ready to start working hard as he saved for his mission, and we were keeping tabs on #1 and making sure he was eating and living and adapting.

Two weeks ago #2 left for his mission, and that day Geo, #3, #4, and I went to Seattle for some much needed R and R.  Good times.  So now we are back, getting used to the huge vacuum in the house without Red (#2), and #1 announces he is ready to move back home for awhile until he can get on his feet.  Of course, we will welcome him with open arms.

And then we will install a revolving door.

13 comments

Robin | April 21, 2010 at 1:58 AM

I am never complete when one of my children is gone. You are an incredible woman for giving them the freedom that they need. Appropriate or not, it still tugs.

Jess will be home soon for the summer and I am more excited than I can say. I'm happy that you get a little more time with #1 in your home.

Connie | April 21, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Keep those hinges well greased on that revolving door! Believe me, it will be used alot.

Lara Neves | April 21, 2010 at 8:56 AM

This "flux" season must be strange. I hate it when one of my girls is gone to a birthday party or something and feel like there is a big hole in the family. But things have to evolve and I suppose flux will have to happen!

Heidi | April 21, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Sounds like some of the wards I've been in. I can totally imagine how wonderful it must have been to be the sixth of you for a while. : )

Kazzy | April 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM

It was great, Heidi. Kind of like a little capsule of time that might not happen again. #1 might marry soon, etc etc. Transition is both exciting and scary.

Barbaloot | April 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Careful with the revolving door. I always feel like I'll get trapped in one. Course, if I got trapped on my out, that's not such a bad thing cuz then I'd have to stay home:)

Charlotte | April 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM

What an interesting time of life. I'm hoping to not need the revolving door, but I know that is wishful thinking (and when I hit the flux stage I'll probably change my mind anyway!)

Dona | April 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I hear you sister!

Cookie | April 21, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Awesome. I imagine having #1 home again, if even for a short time, will feel so good!

Heather | April 21, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Your sons are so blessed to have such a loving home to come home to.

Bre And Drew | April 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM

That sounds so much like our family! but i wouldn't have it any other way. I absolutely love the constant in and out even just day to day. I kinda miss that with just two of us. :)

Minna | April 26, 2010 at 9:04 PM

there was a cartoon we kept on our refrigerator for a long time that showed a trojan horse being wheeled to the walls of a city but the caption said, "without realizing it, the parents allowed the adult children to once again return." the washington post once referred to this generation as the boomerang generation and i have to say we have had our share of move in and move outs that have included bringing husbands, wives, expectant wives, dogs, etc. aren't we lucky that our lives are still so entwined?

Minna | April 26, 2010 at 9:05 PM

one last thing: my adult children now refer to our nuclear family as "the orginal six." it has a good sound.