day 236: upkeep

When you have short hair, like me, it needs more, regular maintenance.  The shagginess hits pretty quickly, and it doesn't take long before you feel almost distracted by it.

Sometimes I feel like there are other things in my life that have fallen into the same category.  Like the tighter the hold on my class work and other expectations, the more regularly I "need" to keep up the maintenance.  The room for some shagginess disappears and I create my own problems by over-achieving.  By needing it trimmed, just above the ears and around the back of my neck.

This time around I am so much more attentive to my work, and in some ways it is both good and bad.  I am trying to summon my 20 year-old self to get some advice on ditching my schoolwork and going out for pizza.

9 comments

Dona | April 12, 2010 at 12:47 AM

I think I am a little too good at ditching my work and going for pizza. We should do a little shoulder rubbing and see if we can wear some of our finer points off on eachother.

LisAway | April 12, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Yes, there should be room for a little shagginess. I say it's a good night for pizza!

Connie | April 12, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Sometimes shagginess looks cute. It's OK to get that pizza and put the school work on the back burner. Then go to the beautician from Guadalahara to get a super short cut. It will last for months!

Barbaloot | April 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Your 20-year old self sounds like the roommates I used to corrupt when I taught them how to avoid doing homework:)

Charlotte | April 12, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Your so right. I love the analogy (and the reminder to get a hair appointment).

wendy | April 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM

school work is over-rated....go for the pizza.
There are lots of things in life I think that get a little shaggy, out of control....could use a little trimming.

Amber | April 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I can relate and I'm not even in school!! Interrupting anything for something spontaneous is really hard for me. I prefer well laid plans, but I think my kids are teaching me to appreciate the spontaneous a little bit more.

Kimberly Vanderhorst | April 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM

I haven't had my short hair cut since early November. I really ought to do something about that.

I'm craving pizza now...

Lara Neves | April 13, 2010 at 7:53 PM

This is why I can't wait to go back to school again. I know I'll get so much more out of it than I did when I was 20. But I will remember to party it up a little bit. :)